Sunday, December 7, 2008

Countdown to Christmas: Cards and Carols


‘Tis the season for happy mailboxes. The Christmas cards are coming. Don’t you just love the break from bills and junkmail? The first of our holiday cards this weekend. Yeehaw! (Thanks, Aunt Ruby and Cynthia.)

In the spirit of holiday cards, I’m going to start this Countdown to Christmas blog series with a little card I created for a class I taught for the U of U. It combines two of my favorite things—paper and yarn—to make an ornamental window card. Let’s take a look at how I made this little number:

Step 1: Make card base from cardstock.

Step 2: Die-cut ornament shape from a 4” x 4” piece of cardstock. Set the ornament piece aside. (I'll give you an idea of how to use it in a future project.)
Tip: If you don't have a die cut machine, you can trace an ornament on your cardstock with an ornament shaped cookie cutter.


Step 3: Adhere negative shape (the cardstock leftover piece that you cut the ornament from) to the center of the card base.

Step 4: Open card and position on cutting mat. Use craft knife to cut white center out from inside ornament-shape to create window, leaving the piece at the top in tact (see card photo).

Step 5: Punch holes around ornament shape. (Note: In this sample I didn’t create a window, but the threading is the same.)
Tip: Most hole punches will not reach the entire width of your card. For the holes that your punch won’t reach, use a large thumbtack to piece the holes. You can also purchase the Big Bite from We R Memory Keepers, which has a much longer reach than most punches.

Step 6: Secure one end of the thread on the inside of the card with a small piece of tape, and thread green yarn through holes. Once entirely threaded, secure second end of yarn onto inside of card with tape.
Tip: If you don’t have a needle, you can wrap a piece of tape around the end of your yarn. This makes the yarn rigid so that it will go through the holes easier.

Step 7: Tie a small piece of yarn around the top of the ornament to complete your look.


Supplies: Cardstock (red and white); Ornament Die, Die Cut Machine (QuicKutz); Green Yarn; Hole Punch; Tape

Techniques: Hand Stitching, Using a Negative Shape, Die-Cutting

Quite the ornamental idea, eh? I hope you like.

Do you have holiday cards posted somewhere? If so, I’d love to see a link to where they’re posted. I’m always looking for new card ideas.

Now, on to my holiday song pick for this post. I know it’s just about impossible to narrow down the many wonderful Christmas songs down to a single favorite, but “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” comes pretty close for me. Take a listen:







What about you? What’s your favorite festive tune? I’m going to post a new fav with each of my holiday posts (a little like adult easy listening radio, I know, but I can’t resist). Maybe we’ll have a few favs in common.

In addition to sweet songs, I’m going to post more projects and a giveaway or two, so please check back when you can. Until then, have yourself a merry little day!
P.S. For more holiday countdown ideas, check out the always-inspiring Ana Cabrera's blog. You'll be glad you did. :)

4 comments:

Holly said...

Love the card! So cute. My favorite Holiday song is "Donde Este Santa Claus" by Guster.

Alice said...

adorable card Megan! I haven't started on my card for this year...

Unknown said...

That card is so fun, and one that would be easy to teach kids!
Thanks chica!!!
B-

Unknown said...

Ok, I just LOVE this card Megan, such an awesome idea!!
Favorite holiday song... I just can't get enough of Silver Bells :)