Monday, October 12, 2009

Something Spooky This Way Comes


I was booed at work last week. No, I didn’t write a crummy column to warrant such behavior, nor did I get a poor performance review. Actually, during the month of October, being “booed” is a good thing. It means a special Halloween spirit paid me a visit, leaving me tasty treats and festive holiday décor.

Now it’s my turn to pay the boo forward, so I put together this illuminating home décor project. It would make a fun hostess gift if you’re attending a Halloween brouhaha this year, or it would look nice sitting on your step on Halloween night, lighting the way for all of the ghouls and goblins who visit.

Make Your Own

Step 1: Select a lantern. I picked up this lantern for around $6 at IKEA.

Step 2: Clean the glass. You’ll be adhering vinyl, so it helps to have a clean surface.


Step 3: Select your vinyl image and trim it to size. Below, you’ll find a list fun holiday vinyl options. This particular piece is from Stampin’ Up!


Step 4: Measure your vinyl to fit, using a pen to mark the edges of the lantern where you’ll need to do some final trimming.


Step 5: Gently remove the vinyl from its paper backing.


Step 6: Adhere the image to the glass, using your finger to ensure the vinyl is secure and free of air bubbles.


Step 7: Gently peel back paper to reveal spider.


Step 8: Since this is a black widow, I added a little red bling to her belly.


Step 9: Not wanting the word “spooky” to go to waste, I also adhered it to my lantern, wrapping it around a corner.

Step 10: Insert a candle and let the creepy-crawly fun begin!

Frightfully Fun Halloween Vinyl
Here are a few options to consider when making your lantern:

Curly Cue Wall Graphics


You, too, can BOO!

Do you want to spread your own boo cheer. Paper Crafts magazine, also located in the office where I work, has the boo message availale to download on their website. Don’t be a BOOger—print copies and let the creepy fun begin today!

13 comments:

joscelyne cutchens said...

Super cute! I've been dreaming of vinyl accents to cut for this season. Thanks for the push!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Runnnnnning to Ikea! I love how that came out!
~Nancy

Unknown said...

LOVE this Megan!! Very clever my friend ;)

ronee said...

i love you!

Megan said...

Thanks, Sweet Friends! So happy this creepy crawly has added something to your web of creative ideas. ;)

Nicole said...

I love it Megan. Its spooky fun. Too cute

P. Kelly Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
P. Kelly Smith said...

That lantern is spooktacular! Anytime you want to visit IKEA for more inspiration, I'm game! (Let's just stay away from the jumbo dogs.)

Anonymous said...

Holy smokin' cute, Megan!

Anonymous said...

Um.. yeah... that last comment was from me. I was overcome by the cuteness of your lantern. ;) --- Teri

Ashley Harris said...

This is amaaaazazzzzing! I love it! Soooo going to IKEA tomorrow! Thanks for the fab inspiration. Have a wonderful weekend you!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

What a fun idea, go IKEA! I'll be linking to this.

Alicia said...

So here's another bit of crafty loveliness from you. I adore the gem on the spider, great addition.