Monday, October 4, 2010

Folded-Paper Wreath DIY

I’m loving these rolled paper wreaths right now. So when my pal P.K. asked me to come up with a card-group craft this month, I knew this was just the ticket. We had so much fun making them that I thought I’d share the steps here so you can make your own. Here's how!



Step 1: Cut 26 6x6 squares and 20 3x3 squares from book paper. I used an old dictionary, but any book or sheet music will do (or you can use patterned paper for a completely different look).

Note: You may not need this many sheets. It depends a great deal on high tightly you roll you cones (step 2).



Step 2: Roll your cut squares into cones (with your paper positioned like a diamond, bring the sides in and form a point at the tip). Use a strong liquid glue (or a hot glue gun) to hold each cone in place. I used Fabri-Tac by Beacon.


Step 3: Add glue along the sides of the cones to glue them together, forming a larger circle wreath with the 6x6 cones and a smaller circle wreath with the 3x3 cones.



Step 4: Once glue is dry, color the wreaths with a little spray ink for a splash of color. I used Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels.

Note: For the larger back wreath, you may want to spray it in sections before adhering the entire thing together, depending on how large your box is that's catching the spray.



Step 5: Color doily with spray ink. Once dry, adhere crepe paper to the back of the doily, pleating it for a more textured look.



Step 6: Adhere cone wreaths to cardboard-circle back for stability.


Step 7: Layer wreath components with glue, and your spooky sentiment, and hang your wreath for a splash of frightful fun. (Note: I glued a strip of tulle to the cardboard for a hanger.)




These wreaths are extremely affordable and can be done in an hour or two. To make it even faster, skip the back wreath and go with the smaller wreath only. And try switching out the colors, the paper, or the center piece for different holidays and seasons.



Cheers!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

It was a very fun craft, thanks so much for ALL of your prep work!!

B-

laura vegas said...

this is the coolest wreath, meagan! i LOVE this idea. for some reason, it reminds me of making those christmas trees out of old reader's digest magazines, and then spray painting them. lol! i'm going to have to try this out out :)

P. Kelly Smith said...

Great tutorial, Megs! I took my wreath home and found the perfect sticker for the centerpiece. I'll definitely link up when we do our giveaway!

Emily Call said...

such a fun and clever idea Megan! Thanks for sharing!

Nicole said...

WOW I love it. Your instructions and super detailed great pictures. I swear in some life time you were a teacher (I say 4th/5th grade. Your passion for your craft comes out when u teach others.
Great project idea thanks for sharing.

Kristi said...

love it! so awesome!!!!

Eveline said...

Thank you for this tutorial. Great wreath.
Eveline.

Heather said...

Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing!

I made one of these recently as well, with sheet music. A good place to get cardboard circles is a craft store with a cake decorating section. Wilton & other brands make & sell packs of cardboard circles in all different sizes and I found it was perfect for my wreath project!

Scrapycandy said...

Wonderful! I so appreciate this tutorial!

NatQuebec said...

really nice ! thanks for sharing :-)

dawnaclark said...

Thanks! Although I think u meant 20-3 inch squares. I made 10 as it stated and I looked at the picture and counted 20. No biggie....I cut extra and the cones are fun to make while watching the tube!

Suzy Myers said...

Love this! Great use for an old book and the wreath is amazing!

Come link up to my Commercial Break Linky party and promote your blog! http://suzysartsycraftsysitcom.blogspot.com/2010/10/commercial-break-thursday-promote.html

suzy

Cassie said...

This is so fantastic!
I want Glimmer mist on everything!!!
I would love it if you linked to my Halloween Party!
http://www.paperissues.blogspot.com/

WW said...

What a great tutorial! I had to give it a try. Here is my link: http://wwreprieve.blogspot.com/2010/12/folded-paper-wreath.html
Wendy

maisy said...

I will make this but probably will laminate my pages....making it more durable. I did something similar many many years ago with old pay stubs.