Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Handmade Bibs from Oilcloth and Laminated Cotton


Is it rib night yet? Because, boy do I have the bib for you! Make that three bibs. Bibs I made using laminated cotton and oilcloth. I’m super excited about this particular project, because it’s my first sewing project made from a pattern. Everything I’ve sewn up to this point, I’ve sort of made up. This time, however, I had a fun design to follow.


My cute new friend, Kirsten, who works at Material Girls Quilts in South Jordan, UT, designed this pattern. I saw it and immediately thought of another friend of mine, who was about to have a baby. Of course, that was months ago. Her beautiful babe is six months old now, but I suppose they still wear bibs at that age. Heck, I still wear a bib. ;)
Anyhoo, here’s the bib I made for little miss Claire. I hope she likes it. 


I had so much fun making it, that I decided to make a couple of others. Maybe I’ll use them on my own sweets someday. Or, if not, it’s always good to have a few handmade gifts on hand. 


Which one do you like the best? I prefer Claire’s, but most people have said they like the black and white one.
Want to make your own bib? Here’s how:
Step 1: Fold your laminated (or oilcloth) fabric in half and trace fabric on back of one half. 


Step 2: Cut out shape. 


Step 3: Repeat with cotton fabric, which will be used as back of bib. 


Step 4: Pin cut pieces together around edges and sew together using a zigzag stitch. 


Step 5: Tear cotton fabric into strips, pin those strips around bib (like hem tape), and sew hem to bib using a straight stitch. 



Note: Make sure you stitch an elastic to the top of the bib. This will act as your closure. 

Step 6: Create a medallion flower, adding a large button to the center. This is what your closure will wrap around to keep the bib on. Note: For instructions on creating a medallion flower, click here.



Had lots of fun making my first pattern project. Who knows, maybe I’ll get up the courage to try it again sometime soon.
Cheers!

3 comments:

scrappinmommom said...

How very clever. I like the black and white one.

Lydia said...

Your bibs are beautiful! And so clever to use the flower/hair tie to close it. Love that idea!

How funny that the comment before mine is almost my sign in name!! :) I thought...."did I already comment on this? I knew I had thought it but didn't remember writing anything!" lol.....

Lydia

JulieHRR said...

My favorite bright floral one--so retro and cute!