Sunday, April 4, 2010

DIY Floss Spheres


You know those textured spheres that are all the rage right now in home décor? Well, thanks to an idea my sweet hubby shared with me (something he learned from his talented mama(, I now know how to make them. This would make a fun Easter evening craft tonight, or you can do them anytime. Let’s get started!

Supplies:

Embroider floss
Balloons in various sizes
Sugar water
A few damp cloths (this gets sticky!)

Instructions:

Step 1: Mix 1 part sugar with 1 part water to create a paste.


Step 2: Dip embroidery floss into sugar water. (I used 8.75 yards of floss for a small circle. It takes at least twice that amount for a larger circle.)

Step 3: Blow up a small balloon. (I used water balloons for my small circles, and I didn’t blow them up very much.)

Step 4: Wrap the wet floss around the balloon in all directions, making sure the floss stays nice and wet as you go.

Step 5: Allow the floss-wrapped balloon to dry overnight, and then pop it, removing the balloon remains from the circles inside.

Because the sugar water is sticky, the floss dries stiff, which allows it to keeps its form. Cool!

Bonus Idea
If you’re looking for a fun Easter craft to do with the family this evening, make these circles in several colors and use them as egg décor. Using the same sugar water, I also made a paper mache nest for my floss eggs. Here’s how:

Step 1: Tear pieces of newspaper, dip them in your sugar water mixture, and wrap them around a larger balloon.

Step 2: Once the balloon is wrapped, allow it dry overnight.

Step 3: Remove the nest from the balloon and fill it with your floss eggs.


I loved this project and will definitely make more floss spheres to put in a dish on my coffee table. It’s inexpensive, easy and fun! I hope you’ll give it a try.

Thanks for the awesome idea, Cory and Lorna!

9 comments:

Kim Watson said...

Megan what an amazing idea!! You home must be an explosion of color & creative projects!!

Have good week sweetie!
Kim

Casey Wright said...

This is beautiful! I'm writing this one down in my idea book - thanks for the inspiration!

*reyanna* said...

These are AWESOME! As soon as I saw the first photo, I was like, "Oh, BALLOONS I learned this some place!!!" LOL. I had totally forgotten! Oh, thank you for posting this! SO cute! :)

AJ said...

very cool- i love those spheres! tfs!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Those are so pretty and would be really fun to do with kids. Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll be linking.

laura vegas said...

very fun idea! i have oddles of embroidery floss ... this would be fun for my girls to try :)

Angie Lucas said...

I love this idea! I definitely want to try it too. Next year!

Unknown said...

I am going to try this tomorrow. would love to find something to put in the balloon, so that when you pop it, it stays in the sphere. I think that would be very cool. However, I have not come up with any ideas yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.